Sunday, April 23, 2017

Event 1: Nature's True Art











(Im in the white jacket and red hat)

On Wednesday, April 23, 2017, I went to Linda Weintraub open workshop to hear her talk. She showed her passion for us human connecting with the world more naturally. She started her discussion by asking everyone in the room what percentage of our day we WERE NOT involving mass produced products. As most said 1-2%, my answer was 0% considering the clothes I wear are mass produced. Therefore, I always am connected to mass produced commodities. Her exhibit she put on for us was to allow us to connect with the natural world, really focusing on our 5 senses.

Above, you are able to see the map of the different stations that were on display. The first station I visited was the flavor and aroma station. The station asked me to smell the mushrooms inside of the box, and mark down any smell it reminded us of. I remember marking down how it reminded me of almonds. After moving on to the mass and weight sections, the box I grabbed was tough. It asked me to hold a piece of wood in one hand and in the other, hold the number of pennies I believed equaled that wood. My guestimate was 11 pennies, yet will never know how close I was. 

Skipping to the beauty station, I picked a box comparing cups and mushrooms. As you can see in the picture, the question was asking if I believed the cups or mushrooms were more beautiful. I personally thought the mushrooms were by far more beautiful. Considering the different shapes, sizes, and color of the mushroom, each was it own. This meaning each their own unique artistic quality.

After this exhibit, I reflected on the message it sent to me. When comparing natural vs unnatural objects, natural objects were by far more exciting and artistic in my eyes. Even though it may just be a feather or a pinecone, it has its own unique qualities to it that nature created. Not a human. So the final message sent to me was clear, nature is a clear artist and easily more beautiful then man made art.

No comments:

Post a Comment